Procrastination Not For This Job.

As I create this post, I chuckle to myself a bit because I realize that not many people will see it, which is kind of a good thing because if everyone sees it, I have more people holding me accountable and I am not mentally ready for that. I am a procrastinator at heart. I remember staying up until 4am while I was in 4th grade to finish my science fair project. To say that my mom was upset is an understatement!

I promised myself going into this school year I would not procrastinate on my work. And I have stayed true to my word, but in writing this blog, I realize I only stayed true to that word in one aspect: my physical job as a principal intern. I have not kept up with my job of being a student, which is indeed a job. As of now, I do not feel as though I will be able to achieve a "work-life balance" this year. And while this is not a goal, I feel this is the only way I will make it through this year.

You see, I can somewhat procrastinate on my school work. It's not idea, but I can usually get the gist of what I need to know by skimming through the readings and focusing in during lecture. However, after being 5 days in at school with kids, I see that small fires will turn into large ones rather quickly if not taken care of immediately. This is why I feel that one isn't able to procrastinate in the role as principal.

My host principal has so many things coming her way at one time it's actually overwhelming for me as an observer. She can't not give teachers their individual time to talk to her or else the teacher feels slighted and as though she (the principal) isn't listening. If she procrastinates in listening/building that relationship, she loses the teacher's trust/the teacher's buy-in. The principal can not procrastinate when it comes to speaking to/responding to parents or she risks having a disgruntled parent that causes more headaches than necessary. While creating plans for moving forward, she can not procrastinate on the work she must do for the district, superintendent etc. Additionally, she can not procrastinate in learning about the new curriculum that is implemented. One day of procrastinating at this job, and seriously, it seems as though you are fucked.

I'm thankful for this intern year because it is really giving me a better look at what a principal does. I hope to remain as fired up about this job in 2 years as I do now, and I hope that I will not only be able to say I don't procrastinate when it comes to this job, but that I have achieved some sort of "work-life balance".

BTW- it's 12:48am and I have to be at school at 8am. Saving grace- I took a glorious 3.5 hour nap earlier. Shout out to supportive partners that let you take naps while they get the kid(s) together (dinner, entertainment etc).

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking from the heart of a semi-procrastinator, I fully understand your plight. I have also had to push my non-procrastination button to keep up with my hosting principal. She is overly, OCD-like obsessive with structure, time and the like. Everything for the entire year is scheduled, from award ceremonies, staff meetings, any school or grade level meetings, to "happy custodian day" was scheduled before the end of the 16-17 school year. Yesterday, we had a meeting the the special education team and all 57 IEP/ETR meetings are scheduled for the year! Say WHAT??? I knew I was sent all the way to TIMBUCKTO (literally the people from Cincinnati didn't know about this school) for a reason...if nothing other than to learn to plan ahead and don't procrastinate. I now pack my lunch the night before and am trying to get to the point where my clothes are ironed on Sunday for the week. That's my first step to living a procrastinator-free life!! Let's keep each other encouraged! PROCRASTINATORS UNITE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if we are being fair in this season of our lives to accept the term procrastinator. It may be poor or inadequate prioritizing, but with everything on our plates, its hard not to prioritize ineffectively. Keona mentioned taking a 3.5 hour nap, I have been taking them regularly because my body and mind are exhausted at the end of the work day. Yes we have a ton of reading and assignments to complete, but I don't think its procrastinating if you prioritize your physical needs over other tasks if the nap is going to help you be more effective and ALERT. I may be looking at this all wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the workload we have here in early January, I think this topic may have increased relevance, now more than ever. Dr. Goddard's email reminding us of the paper due tomorrow is indicative of working at deadlines. I enjoy Tai's countdown messages to us in GroupMe. Without his most recent post, I'd have never thought May was only 4 months away.
    Do we get to see the cars again once we're in Dr. Rucci's class, in Mod 5, 10, 20, whatever it is?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Positive Reinforcement - Zach Dean

Student Athlete or Athlete Student?

Steph Curry, Education and the Self Efficacy Loop